Founded: Incorporated 1882
Location: McCulloh St. (1882-1884); Lafayette Ave. and John St. (1884-), Baltimore, MD
- Dates: 1894
Notes: THE HOSPITAL FOR THE WOMEN OF MARYLAND, is situated on Lafayette avenue and John street, Baltimore, and was incorporated in 1882. It cost about $40,000. The purposes of the contributors to this institution was to provide suitable quarters for the treatment of diseases of the women of Maryland, where the best medical and surgical skill could be secured, and the facilities furnished to give the most effect to the work of the distinguished physicians who had tendered their services to the institution.Accommodations have been provided for about fifty patients. The larger portion of the institution is devoted to the treatment of those who are unable to pay for the medical attention, who are known as “free” patients. The hospital is open to all poor women of Maryland free of charge. Those coming from without the State are required to pay moderate rates for board, lodging and attendance. The revenues from these pay patients assist in defraying the expenses of the free ward. There have been treated in this institution since its organization, in 1882, about 12,000 women, many of them being visiting patients. And there have been living in the institution within that time 1,200; treated at the dispensary, 10,500; number of operations, 732.
The institution is largely supported by private contributions from the citizens of the city of Baltimore, who are interested in the good work that is being so well performed by the distinguished surgeons and others who have it in charge. The surgical services rendered are gratuitous, to all patients who are unable to bear the expense of treatment. The total receipts for the past year were $10,220, of which amount the General Assembly of Maryland of 1892 appropriated the sum of $2,000 per annum.The necessity for an institution of this character is evidenced by the large number of patients who have been treated since its organization, and this is certainly one of the most worthy charities which the State has seen proper to assist.
Source: Message of Frank Brown, Governor of Maryland, to the General Assembly at its Regular Session, January, 1894 Baltimore: Wm. J.C. Dullany Company: 91-92
- Dates: 1901
Notes: (1882) Lafayette Ave. and John St. Resident physician. Object.– The treatment of cases suffering with diseases peculiar to women (not a lying-in hospital). Not limited to Maryland. There are 23 free beds; 6 bedds in private rooms for which a moderate charge is made; and 16 rooms for private patients. Management. — By large number of women forming a board of managers. Supported by individual subscriptions and by a State appropriation of (1901) $4000.Established in house on McCulloh St.; present building erected 1884.
Source: Charity Organization Society, Directory of the Charitable and Beneficent Organizations of Baltimore together with Legal Suggestions, Etc. Baltimore: : 50
- Dates: 1920
Notes: Amounts appropriated for state-aided institutions, from the Maryland Manual, 1921-1922.
- Chesney, Alan Mason, A survey of the Hospital for the Women of Maryland / by Alan M. Chesney and Barry Bowers. Baltimore: 1956.