Founded: ca. May 10, 1862
Closed: August 24, 1865. Patients transferred to Hick’s General Hospital. Empty from December 1863 to March 1864.
Location: McKim’s Mansion on Gallows Hills on Greenmount Avenue near Greenmount Cemetery and the Bolton Depot of the North Central Railroad, Baltimore, MD
- Dates: 1862-1865
Notes: Hospital records available at the National Archives, Washington, DC. See RG94 Entry 553 for listing of available hospital registers.
- Dates: 1863-1864
Notes: Served as a Colored Troops Hospital, March to June 1864; white and black thereafter. Empty December 1863 to March 1864.
Source: Indexes to Field Records of Hospitals, 1821-1912. Maryland. National Archives, Washington, DC. RG94 E544
- Dates: n. d.
Notes: McKIM’S MANSION, BALTIMORE, MD. — The barracks at this mansion, in the northern suburbs of the city, were originally intended as temporary shelter for troops. They consisted of three long two-story buildings of rough boards, with no interior finish. One was 150 feet long, another 175 feet and the third 200 feet. All were 22 feet wide, with a height of 7 feet 10 inches in the first-floor rooms and of 7 feet to the plate and 17 feet to the ridge in those of the second floor. They were built close to the ground, the latter in some parts having been dug out to remove irregularities. The floors were coarsely joined, leaving interstices that permitted small fragments of refuse matter to drop from the upper to the lower wards or from the latter to the unventilated soil beneath. Louvered turrets were provided for the ventilation of the upper rooms. Small wooden flues, 8 to 12 inches square, passing from the first-floor rooms to the ridge, failed to induce the intended air-movement. These buildings formed three sides of a parallelogram, the remaining side of which was filled in with tent-wards. Stoves were used to warm the wards. Water was derived from the city supply, but it was so scanty that only two bath-tubs were in use and no water-closets.
Source: Medical and Surgical History of the Civil War, Vol. VI [Formerly entitled The Medical and Surgical History of the War of the Rebellion (1861-1865)] Wilmington: Broadfoot Publishing Co.: 910-911
- Dates: n. d.
Notes: Female nurses were borne on the rolls of many of the hospitals. At one time, in the WEST’S BUILDINGS, Baltimore, Md., 20 of 70 nurses were women; at STEWART’S MANSION 15 of 70, at and BEDLOE’S ISLAND, N.Y. Harbor, 10 of 70. These were frequently Sisters of Charity — 40 served at SATTERLEE, 16 and POINT LOOKOUT and 15 at CLIFFBURNE. According to the testimony of all the medical officers who have referred to this point their best service was rendered in connection with extra diets, the linen-room and laundry. Male help was preferred in the wards, save in special cases of prostration and suffering where particular care was needful in theadministration of dietetic or remedial agents. Sometimes where no female aid was employed, female aid societies volunteered their services in superintending the extra diets and taking charge of the contribution room.
Source: Medical and Surgical History of the Civil War, Vol. VI [Formerly entitled The Medical and Surgical History of the War of the Rebellion (1861-1865)] Wilmington: Broadfoot Publishing Co.: 958