Location: 237 West Biddle Street, Baltimore, MD
- Dates: 1886
Notes: (1886) 237 west Biddle St. Superintendent, Miss C.C. Barnwell. Office hours 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., week days. Object.–The relief and education of women and children suffering from diseases of the spine. Plaster of Paris jackets used according to methods of Dr. Lewis A. Sayre. A physician examines each case, and on his approval Miss Barnwell applies the jacket. Men are not admitted.
The School is for children suffering from any bodily affliction. Morning session opened to white, afternoon session to colored children. Pupils are taught simple lessions [sic], including daily bible instruction, sewing, drawing, singing, and physicial exercises. Pupils live in their own homes, no lodging given. Admission.–Physician’s certificate is desirable. Patients in Dispensary pay what their circumstances allow. In 1900, $1018.63 received from contributions, $266.65 from patients.
Source: Charity Organization Society, Directory of the Charitable and Beneficent Organizations of Baltimore together with Legal Suggestions, Etc. Baltimore: : 41