Location: Rayner Ave., Calverton, Baltimore, MD
- See: Hebrew Orphan Asylum (Calverton). Built 1815, Baltimore Alms House; Purchased for Hebrew Orphan Asylum 1873, burned 1874.. Collection: City of Baltimore, Catalog Number: CC2782. Maryland Historical Society
- Dates: 1894
Notes: THE HEBREW ORPHAN ASYLUM OF BALTIMORE, This institution is situated on North Calhoun street, Baltimore. It was organized in 1872, and was established by private contributions from prominent Hebrews in the city of Baltimore. In 1874 it was destroyed by fire, and was rebuilt at a cost of $50,000. It has a capacity of 150 inmates. Since its existence there have been three hundred orphans sheltered from time to time within its walls. The expenses for maintaining the institution are $15,000 annually; the State appropriating the sum of $,000, and the remainder being made up by private contributions. The Hebrew Ladies’ Aid Society has rendered valuable help to the institution, and it is largely assisted by contributions from the Hebrews of Baltimore, many of whom are much interested in the good work of this institution, and are active in their efforts in its behalf.
Source: Message of Frank Brown, Governor of Maryland, to the General Assembly at its Regular Session, January, 1894 Baltimore: Wm. J.C. Dullany Company: 82