Founded: Opened 1864
Location: Mount and Hollins streets, Baltimore, MD
- Dates: 1894
Notes: THE HOUSE OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD, is situated on Mount and Hollins street, Baltimore. It is a reformatory institution, opened in 1864 in a dwelling then known as the “Donnell Mansion,” the entire cost of the new additions to the original property, which was donated by the late Mrs. Emily McTavish, being $179,000. The institution was placed in charge of the Sisters of the Good Shepherd, (whence its name is derived), whose lives are devoted entirely to sheltering and reclaiming unfortunate and abandoned women and girls, as well as protecting and preserving from danger young girls and children without proper parental care and protection. The institution has been enlarged from time to time by contributions and assistance from the State, until it now has a capacity for several hundred inmates.The work of the institution consists of all kinds of needle-work, from the plainest to the finest, and most exquisite embroidery done by hand. The inmates are principally fallen and abandoned women, many of whom have been committed by the magistrates throughout the State; others have been brought by friends, and some have come voluntarily with a desire to reform.
There is also connected with this institution a department where unprotected girls can have proper training and care. There is also a department for children, who when they arrive at eighteen years of age, are provided with good homes by the Sisters. By this means many young girls become useful women through the training received in this institution. The total number of inmates in the institution since its organization is 1,975. At present there are 241 inmates. The State of Maryland appropriates $3,000 per annum to its support. The work performed by the Sisters in charge of this institution has certainly been remarkable. Many fallen women have been reformed and others protected in time to save them from temptations that surround them in great cities. There can be no doubt of the wisdom of the General Assembly in assisting this institution.
Source: Message of Frank Brown, Governor of Maryland, to the General Assembly at its Regular Session, January, 1894 Baltimore: Wm. J.C. Dullany Company: 78-79