Location: Chase Street and Forest Place, Baltimore, MD
- Dates: 1894
Notes: ST. FRANCIS’ COLORED ORPHAN ASYLUM is situated on Chase street and Forrest place, Baltimore. It was founded in 1829 through the efforts of the “Oblate Sisters of Providence.” The present building cost $89,000. They derive profits from teaching in St. Francis’ Academy and from needlework. About five hundred orphans have been received in the institution since its organization. There are about one hundred beneficiaries at present. The institution is governed by a board of five Sisters elected by the community. It is supported by charity contributions from the people of the city of Baltimore. The State of Maryland at the General Assembly of 1892 appropriated the sum of $500 annually.
- Dates: 1920
Notes: Listing of staff, inmates, etc. at St. Francis’ Convent and Orphanage. In (1920 U.S. Census) MARYLAND, BALTIMORE, 10-WD BALTIMORE, ST FRANCIS CONVENT AND ORPHANAGE Series: T625 Roll: 662 Page: 214