Founded: 1812 as House of Industry; name changed 1831
Location: Frederick Road, Baltimore, MD
- Dates: 1812/02/14
Notes: House of Industry (later, 1831, House of Refuge) organized by Drs. Edward Johnson, James McHenry, George Roberts, James H. McCullough and others (February 14).
Source: Cordell, Eugene Fauntleroy, Medical Annals of Maryland 1799-1899 Baltimore: The Medical and Chirurgical Faculty for the State of Maryland: 679
- Dates: 1894
Notes: HOUSE OF REFUGE, situated on the Frederick Road, in the western suburbs of Baltimore city, was chartered in 1831, and embraces a lot of fifty-five acres. The large buildings were erected at a cost of $260,000, which amount was contributed by the State of Maryland, the city of Baltimore and by private contributors. It is a reformatory institution where incorrigible boys are committed at the request of their parents. Others are committed for misdemeanors and sundry offenses. The institution provides for a plain, practical English education, and has workshops for mechanical training in the practical branches of industry, many of the boys being engaged in printing, some as wood-workers, and others in the metal-working department. The need of an institution of this character is generally recognized by the citizens of the State. The State of Maryland appropriates the sum of $15,000 annually towards its support. This is followed by an appropriation from the city of Baltimore of about the same amount.
Source: Message of Frank Brown, Governor of Maryland, to the General Assembly at its Regular Session, January, 1894 Baltimore: Wm. J.C. Dullany Company: 70