Founded: Incorporated 1866
Location: Baker and Carey Streets, Baltimore, MD
- Dates: 1894
Notes: THE FEMALE HOUSE OF REFUGE, was incorporated in 1866. It is a reformatory institution for young girls, situated at the corner of Baker and Carey streets, Baltimore. It cost about $60,000, of which amount the State gave $10,000, and the remainder was made up from private contributions from benevolent citizens of the city of Baltimore. They have had in their charge since the erection of the building 583 girls, who are taught the ordinary English branches, housework, sewing, moral and religious training, and a system of work has been adopted by which the girls are trained in woman’s industries, and they receive a large percentage of their earnings from the sales of the work, which amount is deposited in Savings Banks to their credit. They are regularly graded according to merit, and whenever deemed prudent are placed in good homes, or returned to their relatives. Some, of course, return to their former evil lives, but a large proportion are permanently reformed. The present building will accommodate something over one hundred, giving each one a separate sleeping apartment. The average number of inmates is about seventy. This institution is assisted annually by the State of Maryland, and by the city of Baltimore. The State appropriation in 1892 was $5,000 per annum.
Source: Message of Frank Brown, Governor of Maryland, to the General Assembly at its Regular Session, January, 1894 Baltimore: Wm. J.C. Dullany Company: 89