Location: Liberty and Barnet Sts. (1868-1870); N. Charles St. (1871-1877); 54 Saratoga St. (1878-?), Baltimore, MD
See: Maryland Eye and Ear Institute
Notes: The Bayview Hospital, at Baltimore, is a magnificent establishment, erected by the city. We have been unable to obtain any information in regard to this institution, the Washington University Hospital, or the Maryland Eye and Ear Institute of Baltimore.
Source: Butler, Samuel, The Medical Register and Directory of the United States…. Philadelphia: Office of the Medical Examiner and Surgical Reporter: 315
- Dates: 1868-1878
Notes: This, the first institution of the kind south of Phila., was founded 1868 at cor. Liberty and Barnet Sts.; in 1871 moved to N. Charles St., and since 1878 at 54 Saratoga St.
Source: Quinan, John Russell, Medical Annals of Baltimore from 1608 to 1880, including Events, Men and Literature to which is added a Subject Index and Record of Public Services Baltimore: Press of Isaac Friedenwald: 253
- Dates: 1880
Notes: Eye and Ear Infirmary. — The annual meeting of the board of lady managers of the Maryland Charity Eye and Ear Infirmary was held yesterday at the institution, No. 54 Saratoga stret. Mrs. W.H. Brune is president, Mrs. George Coates treasurer and Mrs. R. Barry and Mrs. Hugh Lee secretaries. Among the ladies present were Mrs. Boyd, Mrs. Alex F. Murdoch, Mrs. Jos. Taylor, Mrs. Joel Hinman and Mrs. Geo. Reuling. Dr. Geo. Reuling, surgeon in charge, made his annual report, and stated that on Saturday last the nine hundredth case of cataract operation had been performed by him since the establishment of the institution in 1868. During the past year 1.794 new cases of eye and ear affections have been treated at the dispensary and indoor department. In the latter 51 were treated free of charge, paying for board only; 25 were boarded and treated gratuitously. Patients are from Maryland, Pennsylvania and the Southern States. The institution is sustained by voluntary contributions. A vote of thanks was tendered the following contributors: Messrs. B. F. Newcomer, Christian Ax, G.W. Gail, Henry James, D. J. Foley, Francis White, A.S. Abell, S. M. Shoemaker, G. Von Lingen, Enoch Pratt, W. T. Walters and others.Source: Sun, May 8, 1880
- Dates: 1885-1886
Notes: EXTRACT FROM ANNUAL REPORT. The Maryland Eye and Ear Infirmary owes it origins to the pressing necessity for an Infirmary especially devoted to the treatment of Eye and Ear Diseases, at a time when there was no provision made for the special treatment of such sufferers in the city of Baltimore. It is therefore the pioneers of its kind, not only in Baltimore, but south of Philadelphia, having been opened to the public on October 1, 1868. The solicitations of Dr. Reuling, the surgeon in charge, to a number of our prominent and charitable citizens, were echoed by a spirit of liberality which gradually aided him in placing the Institution on a permanent basis.Already, at the end of the first year, the Institution had been visited by 1225 patients, who had come from almost every part of the Union for their relief. In the second year the city authorities recognizing its value to the city, granted an annual appropriation for the maintenance of eight free beds for city patients suffering from Eye and Ear Diseases.During the period of the last fifteen years nearly 40,000 eye and ear patients have received treatment, and over one thousand cases of cataract-operations alone have been performed, showing the most favorable statistics of results.
Lately the Infirmary has been divided into two departments. The MARYLAND EYE AND EAR INFIRMARY, which is now located at No. 233 East Baltimore street, in the College Building of the Baltimore University, and the MARYLAND EYE AND EAR INSTITUTE FOR PRIVATE PATIENTS, located at No. 79 West Monument street (Mount Vernon Place), which latter location has the advantage that it is the permanent residence of the surgeon in charge.
[Report here includes names of the board of trustees and lady patronesses]
The incorporation of this well-established institution into our Medical School is undoubtedly of very great importance and ever-lasting advantage to our students, in giving to them the most thorough training in acquiring knowledge of those two highly important branches of surgery, the Diseases of the Eye and Ear.
Source: Baltimore University, Annual Announcement and Catalogue of the Baltimore University School of Medicine Baltimore: Press of Isaac Friedenwald: 9-11