Location: Linden Ave. and Madison Street, Baltimore, MD
- Dates: 1901
Notes: The following hospitals have ambulances for the conveyance of sick persons to the hospital named in the title:The City Hospital, Calvert and Saratoga Sts.
Johns Hopkins Hospital, Broadway and McElderry St.
The Maryland General Hospital, Linden Ave. and Madison St.
The Maryland University Hospital, Greene and Lombard Sts.
St. Joseph’s Hospital, Caroline and Hoffman Sts.
The Health Department, City Hall Annex, has a ambulance to convey cases of contagious disease to the Quarantine Hospital.
The Supervisors of City Charities have contracted with the following hospitals for the conveyance of city patients: Maryland General, Maryland University, City Hospital, St. Joseph’s, and Homeopathic.
United States Marine Hospital Service has an ambulance which conveys sick sailors to the hospital.
Source: Charity Organization Society, Directory of the Charitable and Beneficent Organizations of Baltimore together with Legal Suggestions, Etc. Baltimore: : 46
- Dates: 1908-1911
Notes: Baptisms from Maryland General Hospital, 1908-1911 can be found on microfilm at the Maryland State Archives, Annapolis in:
SPECIAL COLLECTIONS (Co-Cathedral – Minor Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary) Baptisms 1958-1976, pp. 82-330; Maryland General Hospital 1908-1911; General Index; Marriages 1783-1861, pp. 1-407. MdHR M 1517.
- Dates: 1920
Notes: Amounts appropriated for state-aided institutions, from the Maryland Manual, 1921-1922.
- Dates: 1928
Notes: One of the oldes and most important of Baltimore’s medical institutions is the Maryland General Hospital, at Linden avenue and Madison street, incorporated in 1882.The hospital has its start on West Baltimore street in a building previously occupied by an orphan asylum, but within a few years the present site of the main building was acquired and a new home constructed.After a long affiliation with the Baltimore Medical College the Maryland General came under the management of the Methodist Church in 1911, its board of directors representing the Methodist Episcopal, the Southern Methodist and Methodist Protestant Churches — the first project to be undertaken by the three branches of the denomination.
Later the buildings of the Baltimore Medical College, at Linden and Monument street, and the Baltimore Dental College, on North Howard, were added to the hospital’s equipment. In 1923 a new nurses’ home was built, at a cost of $160,000, and other improvements and additions brought the capacity of the hospital up to 230 patients.
See: “Baltimore in Pictures” News (Baltimore) Jan. 17, 1928
- Dates: 1963
Notes: Images of the original Maryland General Hospital. See: Sun Jun. 7, 1963
- What we give we have : Maryland General Hospital, Linden Avenue & Madison Street, Baltimore, Maryland. Baltimore: The Hospital, 1946
- Doerfler-Evans, R., “An historical overview of Maryland General Hospital.” Maryland Medical Journal (44 (4)): 275-8