Founded: Opened 1890
Location: Northwest corner of Calvert and Saratoga Streets, Baltimore, MD
- Dates: 1877-1883
Notes: Is under control of College of Physicians and Surgeons since 1877….
There are 25 Free Beds in the Hosp., and a Dispensary attached to it, where, from March 14, 1882, to March, 1883, the total number of visits made by out patients was 10,401.
Source: Quinan, John Russell, Medical Annals of Baltimore from 1608 to 1880, including Events, Men and Literature to which is added a Subject Index and Record of Public Services Baltimore: Press of Isaac Friedenwald: 256
- Dates: 1889/09/01
Notes: SEE IMAGEIT IS A FINE HOSPITAL
THE NEW STRUCTURE OF NORTH CALVERT STREETIt is Now Nearly Complete and Will be Opened in a Few Weeks — A Bazaar to Be Held for Its Benefit. Rooms for Private Patients — Plan of the Building
The new City Hospital, or Hospital of the College of Physicians and Surgeons, on the corner of Calvert and Saratoga streets, is fast approaching completion. It will be in charge of the Sisters of Mercy, with Mother Superior Mary Benedicta at the head. Mr. E.F. Baldwin is the architect. Henry Smith & Sons are the general contractors. The plumbing and gas fixtures are being put in by George Walther. The style of architecture is Romanesque. The new building fronts 114 feet 4 1/2 inches on Calvert street, and is 108 feet deep. In the center is a light-well or court yard 85 feet by 25 feet in dimensions. The building is of sand brick, laid in black mortar, with Seneca brownstone trimmings. It is five stories high, with an attic, and is entered by a massive archway twelve feet wide and twelve feet high. The center on Calvert street is carried up with an extension and gable in front. The total height to the front gable is 100 feet. The side height of the building is 80 feet. On Calvert street are thirty-seven windows, which afford ample light. The roof is of slate. From the first floor two fine stairways lead to the third floor, and from that floor three stairways lead to the upper floors.
The depth of the cellar is eight feet. The height of the first, second, third and fourth floors is for each 18 feet 6 inches through. The fifth floor is 13 feet high. The attic space is nine feet high. The cellar is used for coal and other supplies. The attic is used for storage. The first floor contains parlors, dining rooms, private offices, a physician’s consultation room, a kitchen, laundry, boiler room and a boiler supply house. It has on it a mortuary chapel and a waiting room, also store rooms, pantries and lavatories. On this floor is a central corridor and a main hall, in which is located the ornamental stairway of quartered oak. The corridor and halls are tiled with marble. In the corridor are ornamental plaster caps to the pilasters. An elevator runs to the fifth floor, eight by five feet in size, so as to have ample room to move patients on their cots. On the second floor are located fifteen bed chambers for private patients, also a public ward 67 by 25 feet in dimensions, also a dining room, the nurses quarters, bath room, water-closets and a clothing room.
The third floor is a repetition of the second floor, except that here start the three flights of stairs leading to the fifth story.
On the fourth floor is located a neat chapel, 48 feet long by 21 feet wide, with an alcove on each side, which makes the total width 45 feet. The front portion of this floor is devoted to the sisters in charge of the hospital, including chambers, community rooms, bath rooms, linen rooms and sacristy. On this floor are two public wards. One is 34 by 21 feet, and the other is 67 by 25 feet in dimensions. It has also general bath rooms and other appliances.
One the fifth floor are eighteen private chambers, and a public ward thirty-four by twenty-one feet in size, pantries, lavatories and nurses’ quarters.
The interior of the first three floors is finished in quartered oak. The walls and ceilings are sand-finished. The upper floors are finished in natural cypress. There is some fine frieze work in the corridors and chapels. The gas fixtures are of the latest designs.
To insure a firm foundation in the sandy soil on which the new hospital is located, the foundation walls were laid in Portland cement.
This hospital will be supplied with all the latest appliances of the best modern hospitals, including heating, plumbing, laundry fixtures, with a thorough system of ventilation by two large shafts. Every room has a ventilator in it. It is connected with the old College of Physicians and Surgeons by a flight of stairs running from each story of the old building, so arranged that patients can be carried from the wards to the operating rooms without being disturbed in the least in moving. The total cost is over $150,000. Henry Smith & Sons’ contract is about $75,000.
The Sisters of Mercy in charge and the professors of the college are busy completing arrangements for a grand bazar, to be held shortly, for the benefit of the hospital. They hope to be ready to hold the opening at or near the 1st of October.
Source: Baltimore American (Baltimore), 1889/09/01
- Dates: 1894
Notes: THE BALTIMORE CITY HOSPITAL, is situated on North Calvert street, Baltimore. It was erected in 1889 through the efforts of the Sisters of Mercy, a duly incorporated body under the laws of Maryland. It is situated on ground leased from the city of Baltimore at an annual rental of $1,000; the cost of the building being $150,000. The hospital, although under the management of the Sisters of Mercy, is conducted absolutely upon a non-sectarian plan, and is accessible to all persons within the State, without regard to nationality, creed or color. It has accommodations for 250 inmates. There is an annex building for colored patients, which is under the management of colored physicians ans surgeons. Nearly every county in the State has taken advantage of the privilege of sending patients to this institution, and the institution itself has become a necessity indispensable to the city of Baltimore and the State. The State appropriated the sum of $5,000 per annum, with the proviso that the institution shall furnish annually one bed, maintenance and treatment for one patient at a time from each of the senatorial districts of the State of Maryland. It would seem that the State gets value received from the appropriations made in behalf of this institution, which is one of the most complete of its kind in the country.
Source: Message of Frank Brown, Governor of Maryland, to the General Assembly at its Regular Session, January, 1894 Baltimore: Wm. J.C. Dullany Company: 83
- Dates: 1900/01
Notes: “In a Field Hospital” In: Journal of the Alumni Association of the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Baltimore Jan. 1900: 113-116.
- Dates: 1900/01
Notes: “City Hospital Operating-Room” In: Journal of the Alumni Association of the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Baltimore Jan. 1900: 126-127
- Dates: 1901
Notes: Has an obstetrical department
Source: Charity Organization Society, Directory of the Charitable and Beneficent Organizations of Baltimore together with Legal Suggestions, Etc. Baltimore: : 49
- Dates: 1901
Notes: BALTIMORE CITY HOSPITAL (Opened 1889), Calvert and Saratoga Sts. C&P telephone, St. Paul 1865; Maryland telephone, Courtland 614. Under medical care of College of Physicans and Surgeons; controlled by the Sisters of Mercy. Object.–For the indigent sick of the State of Maryland. A Dispensary and Training School for Nurses (organ. 1899) attached. There are 350 beds. Ward rates for pay patients, $5 per week; private rooms, $10 to $20 per week. has an ambulance to convey sick persons to the hospital. State appropriation (1901) $9000, giving a free bed for each senatorial district. Used at present by the Supervisors of City Charities for a limited number of city patients. Visitors admitted to wards between 2 and 4 p.m. daily.Built by the Sisters of Mercy (for 16 years at the old City Hospital); land (the “Old City Spring” lot) leased from the city. New building for colored patients erected about 1891; an additional story added to hospital, 1899. Total cost about $200,000, of which $165,000 has been paid.
Source: Charity Organization Society, Directory of the Charitable and Beneficent Organizations of Baltimore together with Legal Suggestions, Etc. Baltimore: 54
- Dates: 1901
Notes: The following hospitals have ambulances for the conveyance of sick persons to the hospital named in the title:The City Hospital, Calvert and Saratoga Sts.
Johns Hopkins Hospital, Broadway and McElderry St.
The Maryland General Hospital, Linden Ave. and Madison St.
The Maryland University Hospital, Greene and Lombard Sts.
St. Joseph’s Hospital, Caroline and Hoffman Sts.
The Health Department, City Hall Annex, has a ambulance to convey cases of contagious disease to the Quarantine Hospital.
The Supervisors of City Charities have contracted with the following hospitals for the conveyance of city patients: Maryland General, Maryland University, City Hospital, St. Joseph’s, and Homeopathic.
United States Marine Hospital Service has an ambulance which conveys sick sailors to the hospital. Charitable Organization Society. Directory of the Charitable and Beneficent Organizations of Baltimore Together with Legal Suggestions, etc. (Baltimore: 1901): 46.
Source: Charity Organization Society, Directory of the Charitable and Beneficent Organizations of Baltimore together with Legal Suggestions, Etc. Baltimore: : 46