Location: Calvert and Saratoga Streets, Baltimore, MD
- Dates: 1867-1871
Notes: The school opened in an old converted warehouse on Calvert Street and during its first year succeeded in having the Maryland legislature pass an act authorizing the erection of the Maryland Free Hospital in connection with the college. This was built acroos the street and when finished and occupied in 1871 included both the lecture rooms, dissecting rooms and hospital. The cost and upkeeping of the hospital was provided by grants from the State of Maryland in return for which the college had to treat indigent patients free of charge and to grant scholarships to one student from each senatorial district….
Source: Baldwin, D.O.. “Discipline, Obedience, and Female Support Groups: Mona Wilson at the Johns Hopkins Hospital School of Nursing, 1915-1918” Bulletin of the History of Medicine 69(Winter 1995): 21