David Stewart

Birth: 1813
Death: 1899
Occupation: apothecary, druggist

Associated Counties

  • Baltimore City

US Census

Year Occupation County Ward/District Post Office Page
1850 physician Baltimore City 12 320

Directories

Date Name Occupation Address City
1840-1841 David Stewart druggist SE corner Hanover and Camden Sts. Baltimore City
1835-1836 David Stewart chemist and druggist NE corner Hanover & Camden Sts. Baltimore City
1845 David Stewart apothecary North Charles St. Baltimore City
1853-1854 David Stewart doctor 79 N. Eutaw St. Baltimore City

Additional Information

  • Dates: 1813-1899
    Notes: Born at Port Penn, Del, February 14, 1813; son of Dr. David Stewart. Educate at Newcastle Academy, Del.; settled at Baltimore, about 1831; Member of Baltimore City Council, 1835-37; School Commissioner of Baltimore, 1836; Inspector of Drugs for Port of Baltimore; Ruling Elder, First Presbyterian Church, Baltimore, 1838; Member of the State Senate, 1840; M.D., University of Maryland, 1844; a Founder and Lecturer, Maryland Medical Institute, 1847; Chemist to State Agricultural Society; Professor of Chemistry and Natural Philosophy, and Vice-President, St. John’s College, Annapolis, 1855-62; a Founder of the Maryland College of Pharmacy, 1840; Lecturer on Pharmacy, University of Maryland, 1844-47; removed to Port Penn, Newcastle County, Del., 1862, where he died September 2, 1899. “Of the olden school; stern yet gentle as a woman and courteous as a Chesterfield; a brilliant conversationalist with whom no one ever conversed without profit and his tongue was always clean.” It was on his motion that the Medical and Chirurgical Faculty imported the first glycerine used in Maryland and distributed it gratuitously among its members; also that this Society was the first in America (June 8, 1855) to propose the substitution of the decimal weights and measures for those then in use. See Journal and Trans., Maryland College of Pharmacy, 1860.
    Source: Cordell, Eugene Fauntleroy, Medical Annals of Maryland 1799-1899 Baltimore: The Medical and Chirurgical Faculty for the State of Maryland: 582
  • Dates: 1835-7
    Notes: Served on Baltimore City Council, 1835-7
    Source: Quinan, John Russell, Medical Annals of Baltimore from 1608 to 1880, including Events, Men and Literature to which is added a Subject Index and Record of Public Services Baltimore: Press of Isaac Friedenwald: 248
  • Dates: 1840
    Notes: Served in Maryland Senate, 1840
    Source: Quinan, John Russell, Medical Annals of Baltimore from 1608 to 1880, including Events, Men and Literature to which is added a Subject Index and Record of Public Services Baltimore: Press of Isaac Friedenwald: 249
  • Dates: 1840/06/08
    Notes: “Maryland College of Pharmacy organized by Drs. S.G. Baker, W.E.A. Aikin and Wm. Riley, representing the Medical and Chirurgical Faculty; and John Hill, Geo. W. Andrews, Thos. G. Mackenzie, David Steuart, H.B. Atkinson, J.N.W. Gordon, John Chapman and Robert H. Coleman, representing the Pharmcists of Baltimore.”
    Source: Quinan, John Russell, Medical Annals of Baltimore from 1608 to 1880, including Events, Men and Literature to which is added a Subject Index and Record of Public Services Baltimore: Press of Isaac Friedenwald: 37
  • Dates: 1847
    Notes: Maryland Medical Institute, a preparatory school of high rank, founded at Baltimore by Drs. C. Frick, E. W. Theobald, D. Stewart and C. Johnston, at corner of Fayette Street and Elbow Alley.
    Source: Cordell, Eugene Fauntleroy, Medical Annals of Maryland 1799-1899 Baltimore: The Medical and Chirurgical Faculty for the State of Maryland: 700