Birth: 1850, Apr. 8
- Baltimore City
- Dates: 1850-?
Notes: Born at Norfolk, Conn., April 8, 1850. A.B., Yale University, 1870; M.D., Columbia University (College of Physicians and Surgeons), New York, 1875; M.D. (Honorary), University of Pennsylvania, 1894; LL.D., Western Reserve University, 1894, Yale University, 1896, and Harvard University, 1900; tutor in Greek at Yale; Profesor of Pathological Anatomy and General Pathology, Bellevue Hospital Medical College, 1879-84; Professor of Pathology, John Hopkins University, 1884-; Pathologist to Johns Hopkins Hospital, 1889-; Dean of the Medical Faculty, Johns Hopkins University, 1889-98; President of Board of Directors of Reckefeller Institute for Medical Research; President, Medical and Chirurgical Faculty, 1891-92; Orator, 1887 and 1891; President, Maryland Public Health Association, 1897-98; “Huxley Lecturer,” 1902; important work in Pathology, including contributions to “Flint’s Practice,” “Pepper’s System,” “Allbutt’s System,” “Johns Hopkins Hospital Reports,” etc.; Editor of the Journal of Experimental Medicine. 935 St. Paul Street.
Source: Cordell, Eugene Fauntleroy, Medical Annals of Maryland 1799-1899 Baltimore: The Medical and Chirurgical Faculty for the State of Maryland: 615
- Dates: 1890s
Notes: “Drs. William H. Welch and William Osler of the new Johns Hopkins Hospital and Medical School sparked the public health and child welfare reforms beginning in the 1890s.”
Source: Cordell, Eugene Fauntleroy, Medical Annals of Maryland 1799-1899 Baltimore: The Medical and Chirurgical Faculty for the State of Maryland: 615Nunn, D.B.. William Stewart Halstead: Transitional Years Surgery 121 March 1997: 426
- Dates: 1909
Notes: President, State Board of Health
Source: , American Medical Directory, 1909: A Register of Legally Qualified Physicians of the United States and Canada Chicago: American Medical Association Press: 467
- Welch, William Henry, Reminiscences of the early days of the medical school [Baltimore]: [Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine]. Motion picture. Originally produced in 1932 by Films of Commerce