Samuel Johnston

Birth: 1847, Mar. 10
Death: ?
Occupation: doctor

Associated Counties

  • Baltimore City

Directories

Date Name Occupation Address City
1881 Samuel Johnston doctor 80 W. Monument Baltimore City

Additional Information

  • Dates: 1847-?
    Notes: Born at Princess Anne, Md., March 10, 1847. M.D., Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, 1870; Chief of Clinic, Hospital for Diseases of Throat, London; Physician to Baltimore Eye, Ear and Throat Charity Hospital; Consulting Laryngologist, Church Home and Infirmary; President, American Laryngological Association, 1890; Specialist in Diseases of Throat. 204 West Monument Street, Baltimore.
    Source: Cordell, Eugene Fauntleroy, Medical Annals of Maryland 1799-1899 Baltimore: The Medical and Chirurgical Faculty for the State of Maryland: 459
  • Dates: 1882/09/19
    Notes: Hospital Opening and Dispensary Consolidation
    The Baltimore Eye, Ear and Throat Charity Hospital, No. 186 Franklin street, opened its outpatient or dispensary department yesterday. The institution is a consolidation of the Eye and Ear Dispensary of the Church Home, North Broadway, the Baltimore Charity Eye and Ear Dispensary, Central Avenue, the eye and ear department of the Baltimore General Dispensary, Liberty street, and the Baltimore Throat Dispensary, Park avenue, all of which have been discontinued. The staff of the hospital is made up of specialists formerly connected with those institutions, as follows: Eye and ear, Drs. Samuel Theobald, S.L. Frank, Russell Murdock and I. Bermann; throat, Drs. J.H. Hartman, Samuel Johnston and John N. McKenzie; consulting surgeons, Drs. Alan P. Smith, L. McLane Tiffany, Christopher Johnson and Oscar J. Coskery; consulting physicians, Drs. Samuel C. Chew, G.W. Miltenberger, Rigin Buckler and Ferd. J. Chatard, Jr. The hospital is supported by volunteer contributions, and treatment will be supplied free of charge to the poor. The in-patient department, provided with free beds, will be opened about October 1. The officers of the institution are as follows: Hon. Geo. Wm. Brown, president; John W. McCoy, Samuel G. Wyman, vice-presidents; Clayton C. Hall, treasurer; John N. Mackenzie, M.D., secretary; finance committee, Wm. H. Perot, C. Morton Stewart, Mendes Cohen, W.S. Rayner; board of trustees, John Lee Carroll, Ernest Knabe, C. Morton Stewart, Wm. H. Perot, T. Edward Hambleton, Samuel G. Wyman, Jno. W. McCoy, W. S. Rayner, Samuel H. Lyon, T. Harrison Garrett, Mendes Cohen, S. Teackle Wallis, Wesley A. Tucker, Geo. Wm. Brown, Clayton C. Hall.

    Source: Sun (Baltimore), 19 September 1882.
    Source: