Birth: 1846, Nov. 12
- Baltimore City
|1868-1869||Samuel Theobald||doctor||78 N Charles||Baltimore City|
|1867-1868||Samuel Theobald||doctor||78 N Charles||Baltimore City|
|1881||Samuel Theobald||doctor||6 Cathedral||Baltimore City|
- Dates: 1846-?
Notes: Born at Baltimore, November 12, 1846; son of Dr. E.W. Theobald. M.D., University of Maryland, 1867; the first to employ boracic acid in Diseases of the Eye, 1880; Professor of Diseases of the Eye and Ear, Baltimore Polyclinic, 1884; founder and Ophthalmic and Aural Surgeon, Baltimore Eye, Ear and Throat Charity Hospital; Lecturer on Ophthalmology and Otology, Johns Hopkins University, 1893-94; Clinical Professor, 1894-; Ophthalmic and Aural Surgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital, St. Vincent’s Hospital and the Home for Incurables; most important work, “Anatomical and Clinical Investigations, Bearing upon the Treatment of Strictures of the Lachrymal Passages;” contributor to several works on Diseases of the Eye and Ear; Vice-President, Medical and Chirurgical Faculty, 1899-1900; President, Medical and Chirurgical Faculty, 19000-01. 304 West Monument Street, Baltimore.
Source: Cordell, Eugene Fauntleroy, Medical Annals of Maryland 1799-1899 Baltimore: The Medical and Chirurgical Faculty for the State of Maryland: 591
- Dates: 1875-?
Notes: Attending surgeon, Baltimore Charity Eye and Ear Dispensary
Source: Quinan, John Russell, Medical Annals of Baltimore from 1608 to 1880, including Events, Men and Literature to which is added a Subject Index and Record of Public Services Baltimore: Press of Isaac Friedenwald: 225
- Dates: 1882/09/19
Notes: Hospital Opening and Dispensary Consolidation
The Baltimore Eye, Ear and Throat Charity Hospital, No. 186 Franklin street, opened its outpatient or dispensary department yesterday. The institution is a consolidation of the Eye and Ear Dispensary of the Church Home, North Broadway, the Baltimore Charity Eye and Ear Dispensary, Central Avenue, the eye and ear department of the Baltimore General Dispensary, Liberty street, and the Baltimore Throat Dispensary, Park avenue, all of which have been discontinued. The staff of the hospital is made up of specialists formerly connected with those institutions, as follows: Eye and ear, Drs. Samuel Theobald, S.L. Frank, Russell Murdock and I. Bermann; throat, Drs. J.H. Hartman, Samuel Johnston and John N. McKenzie; consulting surgeons, Drs. Alan P. Smith, L. McLane Tiffany, Christopher Johnson and Oscar J. Coskery; consulting physicians, Drs. Samuel C. Chew, G.W. Miltenberger, Rigin Buckler and Ferd. J. Chatard, Jr. The hospital is supported by volunteer contributions, and treatment will be supplied free of charge to the poor. The in-patient department, provided with free beds, will be opened about October 1. The officers of the institution are as follows: Hon. Geo. Wm. Brown, president; John W. McCoy, Samuel G. Wyman, vice-presidents; Clayton C. Hall, treasurer; John N. Mackenzie, M.D., secretary; finance committee, Wm. H. Perot, C. Morton Stewart, Mendes Cohen, W.S. Rayner; board of trustees, John Lee Carroll, Ernest Knabe, C. Morton Stewart, Wm. H. Perot, T. Edward Hambleton, Samuel G. Wyman, Jno. W. McCoy, W. S. Rayner, Samuel H. Lyon, T. Harrison Garrett, Mendes Cohen, S. Teackle Wallis, Wesley A. Tucker, Geo. Wm. Brown, Clayton C. Hall.
Source: Sun (Baltimore), 19 September 1882.