Birth: 1853, Oct. 20
- Baltimore City
- Dates: 1853-?
Notes: Born at Baltimore, October 20, 1853. Educated at the University of Virginia; M.D., University of Virginia, 1876; M.D., University of New York, 1877; Assistant on Medical Staff, Bellevue Hospital, 1877-78, and Resident Physician, 1878-79; Interne, Rotunda Hospital, Dublin; Chief of Clinic, under Dr. Morell Mackenzie, Hospital for the Diseases of the Throat and Chest, Golden Square, London; studied with Ziemssen and Oertel at the University of Munich and at Vienna; returned to Baltimore, as Specialist in Diseases of the Nose and Throat; Attending Physician, Baltimore Eye, Ear and Throat Charity Hospital, 1882; Clinical Professor, Diseases of Throat and Nose, University of Maryland, 1888-97; Clinical Professor, Diseases of the Throat and Nose, Johns Hopkins University, 1889-; President, American Laryngological Association, 1889-90; author of articles in “Wood’s Reference Hand-Book of the Medical Sciences,” edited by Buck, and “Keating’s Cyclopaedia of the Diseases of Children.” 605 North Charles Street, Baltimore.
Source: Cordell, Eugene Fauntleroy, Medical Annals of Maryland 1799-1899 Baltimore: The Medical and Chirurgical Faculty for the State of Maryland: 484
- Dates: 1882/09/19
Notes: Hospital Opening and Dispensary Consolidation
The Baltimore Eye, Ear and Throat Charity Hospital, No. 186 Franklin street, opened its outpatient or dispensary department yesterday. The institution is a consolidation of the Eye and Ear Dispensary of the Church Home, North Broadway, the Baltimore Charity Eye and Ear Dispensary, Central Avenue, the eye and ear department of the Baltimore General Dispensary, Liberty street, and the Baltimore Throat Dispensary, Park avenue, all of which have been discontinued. The staff of the hospital is made up of specialists formerly connected with those institutions, as follows: Eye and ear, Drs. Samuel Theobald, S.L. Frank, Russell Murdock and I. Bermann; throat, Drs. J.H. Hartman, Samuel Johnston and John N. McKenzie; consulting surgeons, Drs. Alan P. Smith, L. McLane Tiffany, Christopher Johnson and Oscar J. Coskery; consulting physicians, Drs. Samuel C. Chew, G.W. Miltenberger, Rigin Buckler and Ferd. J. Chatard, Jr. The hospital is supported by volunteer contributions, and treatment will be supplied free of charge to the poor. The in-patient department, provided with free beds, will be opened about October 1. The officers of the institution are as follows: Hon. Geo. Wm. Brown, president; John W. McCoy, Samuel G. Wyman, vice-presidents; Clayton C. Hall, treasurer; John N. Mackenzie, M.D., secretary; finance committee, Wm. H. Perot, C. Morton Stewart, Mendes Cohen, W.S. Rayner; board of trustees, John Lee Carroll, Ernest Knabe, C. Morton Stewart, Wm. H. Perot, T. Edward Hambleton, Samuel G. Wyman, Jno. W. McCoy, W. S. Rayner, Samuel H. Lyon, T. Harrison Garrett, Mendes Cohen, S. Teackle Wallis, Wesley A. Tucker, Geo. Wm. Brown, Clayton C. Hall.
Source: Sun (Baltimore), 19 September 1882.
- Dates: 1888-after 1890
Notes: Professor, University of Maryland School of Medicine
Source: Cordell, Eugene Fauntleroy, Historical Sketch of the University of Maryland School of Medicine (1807-1890), with an Introductory Chapter, Notices of the Schools of Law, Arts and Sciences, and Theology, and the Department of Dentistry, and a General Catalog of Medical Alumni Baltimore: Press of Isaac Friedenwald: 211