Colin Mackenzie

Birth: 1775
Death: 1827, Sep. 1
Occupation: doctor

Associated Counties

  • Baltimore City

Directories

Date Name Occupation Address City
1816 Colin Mackenzie doctor 12 N. Gay Street Baltimore City
1819 Colin Mackenzie doctor 12 N Gay Baltimore City
1814-1815 Colin Mackenzie doctor 12 N. Gay Street Baltimore City
1808 Mackenzie doctor Albemarle near Plowman Street Baltimore City
1802 Collin M’Kenzie doctor 18 Albemarle Street Baltimore City
1810 Colin MacKenzie doctor 6 Albemarle near Ploughman Street OT Baltimore City
1817-1818 Colin Mackenzie doctor 12 N. Gay Baltimore City
1803 Colin Mackenzie M.D. Albermarle St., O.T. Baltimore City
1807 Mackenzie doctor Albemarle near Plowman St. Baltimore City
1822-1823 Colin Mackenzie M.D. Holliday, west side north of East Baltimore City
1827 Colin Mackenzie M.D. 12 N Gay Baltimore City
1824 Colin Mackenzie M.D. 12 N Gay Baltimore City
1824 Colin M’Kenzie M.D. 12 N Gay St. Baltimore City

Additional Information

  • Dates: 1775-1827
    Notes: Born in Calvert County, Md., 1775. Pupil of Dr. George Brown; M.D., University of Pennsylvania, 1797; partner of Dr. G. Brown; Physician to St Andrew’s Society, 1815-26; Attending Physician, Baltimore City Hospital, 1799-1808; Drs. Mackenzie and Smyth leased the Baltimore City Hospital in 1808 and managed it successfully until 1819, when Dr. Mackenzie became sole lessee until 1827. (In 1805, with Dr. James Smyth, reduced a dislocated humerus of nearly six months’ standing-“Dorsey’s Surgery.”) Died at Baltimore, September 1, 1827.
    Source: Cordell, Eugene Fauntleroy, Medical Annals of Maryland 1799-1899 Baltimore: The Medical and Chirurgical Faculty for the State of Maryland: 484
  • Dates: 1799
    Notes: MACKENZIE, Dr. Colin, of Balto., and Miss Sally Pinkerton of Chester Co., Penna., were married Thurs. eve. by Rev. Dr. Allison. (Baltimore Federal Gazette, 25 May 1799)
    Source: Barnes, Robert, Marriages and Deaths from Baltimore Newspapers 1796-1816 Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc.: 209
  • Dates: 1800, Oct. 3
    Notes: “Not yet safe of citizens to return. Total cases of [yellow fever] at City Hospital 27; convalescent 21; dead 6 (Colin Mackenzie).”
    Source: Quinan, John Russell, Medical Annals of Baltimore from 1608 to 1880, including Events, Men and Literature to which is added a Subject Index and Record of Public Services Baltimore: Press of Isaac Friedenwald: 22
  • Dates: 1800-1808
    Notes: Assessment Book 1800, p. 282; 1801-1803, p. 263; 1804-1808, p. 307
    Source:
  • Dates: 1801
    Notes: See also: Smith, James, The additional number to the Letters of Humanitas together with John Hillen’s, William Jenkin’s & Doctor M’Kenzie’s letters, and other documents, relative to Polly Elliott’s case : to which is added, Mr. Jesse Hollingsworth’s letter, and a reply to the same(Baltimore [Md. : s.n.], 1801.)

    “The editors of the Federal gazette having omitted such parts of the following letters as were disagreeable to themselves, the present copy may be esteemed more accurate[signed] J.S.”–p. [2

    “Appendix” deals with the yellow fever epidemic of 1800-1801.

    Master microform held by: Readex.

    References: Shaw & Shoemaker, 1332

    Microopaque. New York, N.Y. : Readex Microprint Corporation, 1964. 1 card ; 15 x 23 cm. (Early American imprints. Second series ; no. 1332)
    Source:

  • Dates: 1804
    Notes: “Medical Society of Baltimore, President, Dr. Dunkel; Vice-President, Jno. Crawford; J.B. Davidge, Secretary; Drs. Smyth, Mackenzie (C.), Potter, Chatard (P.), Alexander, members.”
    Source: Quinan, John Russell, Medical Annals of Baltimore from 1608 to 1880, including Events, Men and Literature to which is added a Subject Index and Record of Public Services Baltimore: Press of Isaac Friedenwald: 24
  • Dates: 1805
    Notes: Drs. Smyth and Mackenzie reduce a dislocation of the shoulder of six month’s standing and Dr. James Cocke one of four month’s standing.
    Source: Cordell, Eugene Fauntleroy, Medical Annals of Maryland 1799-1899 Baltimore: The Medical and Chirurgical Faculty for the State of Maryland: 675
  • Dates: 1805, Jun.
    Notes: “Drs. Smyth and Mackenzie, of Baltimore Hospital, reduce a dislocation of shoulder of six month’s standing, and Dr. James Cocke, one of four months standing.”
    Source: Quinan, John Russell, Medical Annals of Baltimore from 1608 to 1880, including Events, Men and Literature to which is added a Subject Index and Record of Public Services Baltimore: Press of Isaac Friedenwald: 24
  • Dates: 1808, Jun. 24
    Notes: “City leases the Public Hospital (East Baltimore) to Dr. James Smyth and Colin Mackenzie for fifteen years and (Dec. 24) Legislature grants the lessees a lottery scheme of 40,000 to enlarge and improve the buildings of the hospital (Chapter 106).”
    Source: Quinan, John Russell, Medical Annals of Baltimore from 1608 to 1880, including Events, Men and Literature to which is added a Subject Index and Record of Public Services Baltimore: Press of Isaac Friedenwald: 25
  • Dates: 1808/06/24
    Notes: City leases Maryland Hospital for fifteen years to Drs. Smyth and Mackenzie (June 24.)
    Source: Cordell, Eugene Fauntleroy, Medical Annals of Maryland 1799-1899 Baltimore: The Medical and Chirurgical Faculty for the State of Maryland: 677
  • Dates: 1812
    Notes: Legislature grants $5000 annually for three years to Drs. Smyth and Mackenzie, for completion of Maryland Hospital. Board of Visitors report hospital in good order, central building nearly completed, and accommodations provided for 100 patients. Dr. William Gibson, Consulting Surgeon and Drs. George Brown, Miles Littlejohn, John Coulter, J.C. White, John Crawford, Solomon Birckhead, Pierre Chatard, John Cromwell and Ashton Alexander Consulting Physicians.
    Source: Cordell, Eugene Fauntleroy, Medical Annals of Maryland 1799-1899 Baltimore: The Medical and Chirurgical Faculty for the State of Maryland: 678
  • Dates: 1812, Jan. 4
    Notes: “Legislature orders payment of $5000 annually for three years, to Drs. Mackenzie and Smyth for completing the buildings of the Public Hospital, of which Dr. Wm. Gibson was consulting surgeon, and Drs. Brown (Geo.), Littlejohn, Coulter, White (J.C.), Crawford, Birckhead (Sol.), Chatard (P.), Cromwell, and Alexander were consulting physicians. The Hospital is in good order, its capacity is 100 patients, the centre building nearly done (Report of Board of Visitors).”
    Source: Quinan, John Russell, Medical Annals of Baltimore from 1608 to 1880, including Events, Men and Literature to which is added a Subject Index and Record of Public Services Baltimore: Press of Isaac Friedenwald: 26
  • Dates: 1814, Mar. 21
    Notes: “City extends lease of Drs. Smyth and Mackenzie for ten years more, provided they complete a centre building, a Lunatic Asylum, and the east wing of the Public Hospital within the time of their original lease.”
    Source: Quinan, John Russell, Medical Annals of Baltimore from 1608 to 1880, including Events, Men and Literature to which is added a Subject Index and Record of Public Services Baltimore: Press of Isaac Friedenwald: 27
  • Dates: 1814/03/21
    Notes: City extends lease of Drs. Smith and Mackenzie for ten years, on certain conditions (March 21); by loands from State and by lotteries they erect centre brick building, four stories, 64 x 56 feet, and two wings, three stories, 120 x 36 feet each; whole front, 300 feet.
    Source: Cordell, Eugene Fauntleroy, Medical Annals of Maryland 1799-1899 Baltimore: The Medical and Chirurgical Faculty for the State of Maryland: 680
  • Dates: 1816
    Notes: “Dr. James Smith notifies the public that although the act of 1809 has expired, he is still willing to furnish vaccine gratuitously to all. Dr. James Smith through his liberality furnished the City Hospital with a cabinet of wax anatomical models at a cost of $20,000. These models, made by Dr. Chiappi, embraced a male and female gifure, life size, the parts of which were separable, showin the internal organization, the gravid uterus, & c. After the death of Drs. C. and John P. Mackenzie (to whom they were given by Dr. J. Smyth) they were deposited for exhibition and sale in Peale’s Museum and ultimately destroyed by the burning of the Museum (Dr. J.S. Mackenzie’s statement to the writer.)’
    Source: Quinan, John Russell, Medical Annals of Baltimore from 1608 to 1880, including Events, Men and Literature to which is added a Subject Index and Record of Public Services Baltimore: Press of Isaac Friedenwald: 27-28
  • Dates: 1818
    Notes: Clinical Lectures delivered at City Hospital by Prof. N. Potter, with permission of Drs. Smyth and Mackenzie.
    Source: Cordell, Eugene Fauntleroy, Medical Annals of Maryland 1799-1899 Baltimore: The Medical and Chirurgical Faculty for the State of Maryland: 683
  • Dates: 1818
    Notes: “Clinical Lectures at Maryland Hospital by Dr. Nat. Potter, by permission of Drs. Smyth and Mackenzie.”
    Source: Quinan, John Russell, Medical Annals of Baltimore from 1608 to 1880, including Events, Men and Literature to which is added a Subject Index and Record of Public Services Baltimore: Press of Isaac Friedenwald: 28
  • Dates: 1821/12
    Notes: “Lease of the Maryland Hospital to be continued to Dr. John P. Mackenzie in case of the death of his father (Dr. Colin M.) before the unexpired term, provided certain physicians (named) agree to assist him in the management of the Institution.”
    Source: Quinan, John Russell, Medical Annals of Baltimore from 1608 to 1880, including Events, Men and Literature to which is added a Subject Index and Record of Public Services Baltimore: Press of Isaac Friedenwald: 31
  • Dates: 1822
    Notes: Drs. C. Mackenzie, George Frick and Patrick Macaulay deliver clinical lectures at the Maryland Hospital.
    Source: Cordell, Eugene Fauntleroy, Medical Annals of Maryland 1799-1899 Baltimore: The Medical and Chirurgical Faculty for the State of Maryland: 687
  • Dates: 1822/04/22
    Notes: “Drs. C. Mackenzie and Geo. Frick deliver Clinical Lectures at the Maryland Hospital; also by Dr. Macauly (Federal Gazette, April 15).”
    Source: Quinan, John Russell, Medical Annals of Baltimore from 1608 to 1880, including Events, Men and Literature to which is added a Subject Index and Record of Public Services Baltimore: Press of Isaac Friedenwald: 31
  • Dates: 1822/08/27
    Notes: “Medical Faculty pass resolutions of respect to the memory of the late Dr. Geo. Brown, order crape to be worn 30 days, and request Dr. Colin Mackenzie to deliver eulogy on his deceased partner.”
    Source: Quinan, John Russell, Medical Annals of Baltimore from 1608 to 1880, including Events, Men and Literature to which is added a Subject Index and Record of Public Services Baltimore: Press of Isaac Friedenwald: 32
  • Dates: 1827
    Notes: “Dr. Colin Mackenzie ob. aet. 52.”
    Source: Quinan, John Russell, Medical Annals of Baltimore from 1608 to 1880, including Events, Men and Literature to which is added a Subject Index and Record of Public Services Baltimore: Press of Isaac Friedenwald: 33
  • Dates: 1827
    Notes: Deaths: Drs. John Rumsy, in Harford County; John P. Ahl, at Baltimore, July 13, aet. 79; Henry Keerl, at Baltimore, July 16, aet. 72; George Roberts, at Baltimore, August 2; Colin Mackenzie, September 1, aet. 52.
    Source: Cordell, Eugene Fauntleroy, Medical Annals of Maryland 1799-1899 Baltimore: The Medical and Chirurgical Faculty for the State of Maryland: 690
  • Dates: 1827
    Notes: “State assumes control (subject to Dr. Mackenzie’s lease) of the Maryland Hospital (Chapter 205).”
    Source: Quinan, John Russell, Medical Annals of Baltimore from 1608 to 1880, including Events, Men and Literature to which is added a Subject Index and Record of Public Services Baltimore: Press of Isaac Friedenwald: 33
  • Dates: 1860/06/05
    Notes: Richard F. Garrettson m. Rebecca Jane Mackenzie, dau. of Colin, 5 June 1860
    Baltimore Sun, 6 Jun. 1860
    Source: Hollowak, Thomas L., Index to Marriages in the (Baltimore) Sun, 1851-1860 Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Inc: 75
  • Dates: 1860/06/05
    Notes: Richard F. Garrettson of Harford Co., married 5 June 1860, Rebecca Jane, daughter of late Dr. Colin Mackenzie. American (Baltimore) 6 June 1860.
    Source: Dielman – Hayward File. Maryland Historical Society, Baltimore, MD. Drawer 105.

Bibliography

  • Mackenzie, Colin, An inaugural dissertation on the dysentery. Submitted to the examination of the Rev. John Ewing, S.S.T.P., Provost, the trustees and medical faculty of the University of Pennsylvania. On the 12th day of May, 1797. For the degree of Doctor of Medicine. By Colin Mackenzie, of Baltimore Philadelphia: Printed by Ormrod & Conrad.