Founded: Chartered 1898 (Laws of Maryland, August 1898)
Location: 1114-1120 W. Baltimore St., near Carrollton Ave., Baltimore, MD
- See also: West End Maternity Hospital
- See also: Franklin Square Hospital
- See also: National Temperance Hospital
- See also: Northeastern Dispensary
- Dates: 1910
Notes: MARYLAND MEDICAL COLLEGE. Organized 1898. An independent institution.
Entrance requirement: Nominal.
Attendance: Almost one-half the school is in the senior class.
Teaching staff: 39, of whom 21 are professors, 18 of other grade.
Resources available for maintenance: Fees, amounting to $7460 (estimated).
Laboratory facilities: The school building is wretchedly dirty. Its so-called laboratories are of the worst existing type: one neglected and filthy room is set aside for bacteriology, pathology, and histology: a few dirty test-tubes stand around in pans and old cigar-boxes. The chemical laboratory is perhaps equal to the teaching of elementary chemistry. The dissecting-room is foul. This description completely exhausts its teaching facilities. There is no museum or library and no teaching accessories of any sort whatsoever.
Clinical facilities: The college faculty own and conduct a hospital within a few blocks. It is essentially a private institution, of no great value to students. Less than 50 beds are free.
The dispensary claims a fair attendance.
Date of visit: March, 1909Source: Flexner, Abraham, Medical Education in the United States and Canada: A Report to the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching New York: The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching: 237-238