Baltimore Female Orphan Asylum

Founded: Incorporated 1808
Location: Mulberry St. between Park and Charles Sts. (1835), Baltimore, MD

Additional Information

  • Dates: 1837
    Notes: Female Orphan Asylum.—Incorporated in 1808, and intended to afford shelter and education to destitute orphan children. It is situated in Mulberry near Park street.
    Source: Matchett’s Baltimore Directory for 1837 Baltimore: 19
  • Dates: 1837
    Notes: Baltimore Female Orphan Asylum.— Incorporated in 1808. President Mrs. Baynard. Asylum at the corner of Mulberry street and College Alley.
    Source: Matchett’s Baltimore Directory for 1837 Baltimore : 37

 

Needlework Guild of America

Founded: 1893
Location: Baltimore, MD

Additional Information

  • Dates: 1901
    Notes: (1885), Central Bureau, Philadelphia. Baltimore Branch (1893), President, Mrs. James L. McLane, 903 Cathedral St. Object.– Furnishes in November new plain clothing to hospitals, homes and other organized charities; each member contributes annually two or more garments.
    Source: Baltimore American (Baltimore), 1901, p. 59

 

Baltimore Eye, Ear and Throat Charity Hospital (Dispensary)

Founded: Established 1882, incorporated 1885.
Location: 625 West Franklin Street, Baltimore, MD

Additional Information

  • Dates: 1901
    Notes: (Established 1882, incor. 1885). 625 west Franklin St. Part of the Baltimore Eye, Ear and Throat Charity Hospital. Hours, 2 p.m. week days. Object.–For indigent sick of Maryland, suffering from diseases of the eye, ear, or throat. A small charge for medicine is made to those able to pay. Is used at present by the Supervisors of City Charities for treatment of city patients. In 1900, total visits to dispensary, 15,974; total visits since establishment, 163,244.
    Source: Charity Organization Society, Directory of the Charitable and Beneficent Organizations of Baltimore together with Legal Suggestions, Etc. Baltimore: 40

 

Mutual Benefit Society

Founded: Incorporated May 1, 1903. Opened June 15, 1903
Location: 407-09-11-13 W. Franklin Street, Baltimore, MD

Images

Advertisement, Mutual Benefit Society. Seventh Edition, 1919-1920 The First Colored Professional, Clerical, Skilled and Business Directory of Baltimore City with Washington, D.C. and Annapolis Annex. Baltimore, MD: Robert W. Coleman, Publishing Co. Morgan State University

Advertisement, Mutual Benefit Society. Seventh Edition, 1919-1920 The First Colored Professional, Clerical, Skilled and Business Directory of Baltimore City with Washington, D.C. and Annapolis Annex. Baltimore, MD: Robert W. Coleman, Publishing Co. Morgan State University

 

 

Baltimore Eye, Ear and Throat Charity Hospital

Founded: Established 1882; incorporated 1885
Location: 186 Franklin St. (1882-); 625 W. Franklin Street, Baltimore, MD

Additional Information

  • Dates: 1882/09/14
    NotesNew Hospital. The Baltimore Eye, Ear and Throat Charity Hospital, the organization of which was effected last spring, will shortly be opened at No. 186 Franklin street. The property to be occupied by the hospital has a frontage of about seventy-five feet and contains in addition to the house, a large and well-shaded side yard, so that it is well adapted to the purpose to which it is proposed to devote it. The location is central and easily reached from all part of the city. Diseases of the eye, ear and throat will be treated at the hospital free of charge, as the institution depends for its support upon voluntary contributions. It is proposed to open a dispensary department for the treatment of visiting patients next week, and the hospital, where those who require longer or closer attention will be received, will be opened soon thereafter.
    Source: Sun (Baltimore), 14 September 1882
  • Dates: 1882/09/19
    NotesHospital Opening and Dispensary Consolidation The Baltimore Eye, Ear and Throat Charity Hospital, No. 186 Franklin street, opened its outpatient or dispensary department yesterday. The institution is a consolidation of the Eye and Ear Dispensary of the Church Home, North Broadway, the Baltimore Charity Eye and Ear Dispensary, Central Avenue, the eye and ear department of the Baltimore General Dispensary, Liberty street, and the Baltimore Throat Dispensary, Park avenue, all of which have been discontinued. The staff of the hospital is made up of specialists formerly connected with those institutions, as follows: Eye and ear, Drs. Samuel Theobald, S.L. Frank, Russell Murdock and I. Bermann; throat, Drs. J.H. Hartman, Samuel Johnston and John N. McKenzie; consulting surgeons, Drs. Alan P. Smith, L. McLane Tiffany, Christopher Johnson and Oscar J. Coskery; consulting physicians, Drs. Samuel C. Chew, G.W. Miltenberger, Rigin Buckler and Ferd. J. Chatard, Jr. The hospital is supported by volunteer contributions, and treatment will be supplied free of charge to the poor. The in-patient department, provided with free beds, will be opened about October 1. The officers of the institution are as follows: Hon. Geo. Wm. Brown, president; John W. McCoy, Samuel G. Wyman, vice-presidents; Clayton C. Hall, treasurer; John N. Mackenzie, M.D., secretary; finance committee, Wm. H. Perot, C. Morton Stewart, Mendes Cohen, W.S. Rayner; board of trustees, John Lee Carroll, Ernest Knabe, C. Morton Stewart, Wm. H. Perot, T. Edward Hambleton, Samuel G. Wyman, Jno. W. McCoy, W. S. Rayner, Samuel H. Lyon, T. Harrison Garrett, Mendes Cohen, S. Teackle Wallis, Wesley A. Tucker, Geo. Wm. Brown, Clayton C. Hall.
    Source: Sun (Baltimore), 19 September 1882.
  • Dates: 1901
    Notes: (Estab. 1882, incor. 1885), 625 west Franklin St. Object.– Free medical advice and in necessary cases, free hospital treatment for indigent sick of Maryland suffering from diseases of the eye, ear, or throat; no limitations as to district,color, etc. A charge of 10 cents for medicine is made to those able to pay. Management.– Board of men managers; with an auxiliary board of women visitors. Income.–Derived from subscriptions, board of patients, and from the Supervisors of City Charities, by whom the hospital is used for the care of a limited number of city patients. Number of patients treated free (1900) 4627; white, 2919; colored, 1734.
    Source: Charity Organization Society, Directory of the Charitable and Beneficent Organizations of Baltimore together with Legal Suggestions, Etc. Baltimore: : 52
  • Dates: 1920
    NotesAmounts appropriated for state-aided institutions, from the Maryland Manual, 1921-1922.
  • Dates: 1961
    Notes: Women’s Hospital has sold its building and equipment to the Baltimore Eye, Ear, and Throat Hospital, the hospitals said in a joint announcement yesterday.Part of the Baltimore Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital property at 1214 Eutaw Place is to be taken over by the city’s renewal agency, forcing it to move.
    Women’s Hospital and the Presbyterian Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital have acquired 42 acres of land on grounds of the Sheppard and Enoch Pratt Hospital at Towson and plan to construct new quarters to be know as the Greater Baltimore Medical Center….
    See: “Sale Aired by Hospital” Sun Aug. 16, 1961
  • Dates: 1964
    Notes: Temporarily blocked by a suit filed by a minority of its governing board, Baltimore Eye, Ear and Throat Charity Hospital has lost its chance to move to Baltimore county and merge with the Greater Baltimore Medical Center, sources close to the hospital said yesterday….
    See: “Hospital Merger Plan Seen Blocked by Court Action” Sun Nov. 24, 1964.
  • Dates: 1965
    Notes: The Baltimore Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital plans to complete a merger with the Maryland General Hospital Tuesday….
    See: “2 Hospitals Soon Merge” Sun Apr. 11, 1965
  • Dates: 1966
    Notes: Baltimore Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital will be relocated into a seven-story wing of 106,000 square feet to be constructed at Maryland General Hospital, Linden avenue at Madison street, at an estimated cost of $3,000,000….
    See: “Eye Hospital Set” Sun Dec. 4, 1966
  • Dates: 1968
    Notes: Today is moving day for the Baltimore Eye, Ear and Throat Charity Hospital, Inc. which this weekend is occupying a new $3,750,000 wing of Maryland General Hospital on Howard Street….
    See: “Eye, Ear Hospital Moving” Sun Dec. 1, 1968

 

Mount St. Vincent’s Hospital

Founded: October 1, 1840. Name changed to Mount Hope Institution in 1845.
Location: Two-story house on Front Street, adjoining St. Vincent’s Church (1840); Harford Road (1841-1844); property known as Mount Hope College, Baltimore, MD

Additional Information

  • Dates: 1840
    Notes: Seven years later, in 1840, a misunderstanding arose between the resident physicians [of the Maryland Hospital] and the Sisters [of Charity], and after many useless efforts to adjust matters on the part of the managers, the Sisters withdrew. The Board decided, after mature and careful consideration, “to employ a matron and a corps of competent nurses” in the place of the Sisters. The Board, however, “was fully cognizant of the Sisters’ faithful duty and assistance to the State in its work of charity, and of the excellent services they had rendered to the patients entrusted to their care.”
    Several of these patients followed the Sisters when they opened a small, two-story house on Front Street, adjoining St. Vincent’s Church, and was called by the patients their boarding house. It was soon crowded, and in 1841 the Sisters moved to a larger house on Harford Road. Although it was a frame building, it was quite an improvement on the old home, and was pleasantly situated on a site of ten acres. The number of patients was constantly increasing, and the Sisters began to admit those patients, too, who were laboring under general diseases. The name of the institution was changed to Mount St. Vincent’s Hospital, and it was there that Dr. William Hughes Stokes was appointed attending physician in 1842, succeeding Doctor Durkee. Doctor Stokes remained the attending physician for forty-five years, and more will have to be said about his personality and his work in a later chapter. In 1843, he wrote the first annual report….
    Source: Jahrreiss, Walter O., History of Mount Hope Retreat : the Growth of a Mental Hospital in Maryland : 1840-1940 Baltimore: Thomsen-Ellis-Hutton Co.: 9
  • Dates: 1845
    Notes: The second [annual] report, published in 1845, was issued from a new building; the “late Mount St. Vincent’s Hospital” had become the new “Mount Hope Institution.” It seems that the Sisters had not thought of erecting a permanent building on Harford Road. The location — or rather the neighborhood — was objectionable to many, including the Archbishop. However, the number of patients was rapidly increasing, and a two-story wing, room for twenty-five more patients, was added, bringing the total number of beds to about fifty. Despite these efforts, Mount St. Vincent’s became overcrowded within little more than a year after it was opened, and the Sisters thought of purchasing a new building that would provide ample room for at least ten years.
    Source: Jahrreiss, Walter O., History of Mount Hope Retreat : the Growth of a Mental Hospital in Maryland : 1840-1940 Baltimore: Thomsen-Ellis-Hutton Co.: 9-10

 

Baltimore Eye and Ear Institute

Location: Baltimore, MD

Additional Information

  • Dates: 1877
    Notes: The Baltimore Eye and Ear Institute occupies a fine building in which patients can have all the comforts of a home, being charged from $2 to $5 per day, according to room, etc.; professional services extra.Patients in the Infirmary Department are charged $1 per day; professional services extra. The city pays the expenses of those who are unable to pay for themselves. A large number of patients are treated in this institution.
    Source: Butler, Samuel, The Medical Register and Directory of the United States…. Philadelphia: Office of the Medical Examiner and Surgical Reporter: 315