Founded: Incorporated 19 May 1853
Location: North Avenue, Baltimore, MD
Notes: The Maryland Institution for the Instruction of the Blind, located on North Avenue, in this City, was incorporated in 1853, through the efforts of several benevolent citizens. The present building, constructed of Baltimore County Marble at a cost of $145,000 — is beautifully located and can accommodate all who are likely to apply for admission for years to come. Those who are able to pay are expected to do so, but the indigent are received and educated at the expense of the State.
Source: Howard, George, The Monumental City, its Past History and Present Resources Baltimore: J.D. Ehlers & Co: 51
- Dates: 1853/05/19
Notes: Institute for the Instruction of the Blind incorporated.
Source: Quinan, John Russell, Medical Annals of Baltimore from 1608 to 1880, including Events, Men and Literature to which is added a Subject Index and Record of Public Services Baltimore: Press of Isaac Friedenwald: 40