Founded: Incorporated 1896
Location: 1123 Madison Avenue (headquarters), Baltimore, MD
- Dates: 1901
Notes: (Incor., 1896). Headquarters, 1123 Madison Avenue; C&P Telephone, Madison 291. Head nurse, Miss A.M. Carr. Office hours, 8.30 to 9.30 a.m., 1 to 2 p.m. and after 5 p.m. District Offices: south Baltimore, 1418 Light St.; east Baltimore, 101 south Broadway; northeast Baltimore, 1520 east Eager St.; southwest Baltimore, 710 Columbia Ave.; northwest Baltimore, 1100 Patterson Ave. Object.– To provide trained nurses for the indigent sick in their homes, to instruct their families and friends in the proper care of the sick and to teach the simple rules of hygiene. Whenever possible, a small fee is expected, but free care is given when the circumstances of the family do not allow of it. The nurses do not attend cases of contagious diseases or act as mid-wives. In no case do they continue to attend patients who are not under the care of a physician. Messages may be left at the district offices at any time of day; nurses call there at 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. every week-day. Management.– Under board of directors. Supported by voluntary contributions. Year ending October 31, 1900, nurses paid 10,052 visits for nursing care, 2407 for supervision and advice; cared for 1506 new patients. Receipts, $3131.42; expenditures, $3496.38, (balance on hand at beginning of year, $742.68).The use of the house, 1123 Madison Avenue, is given to the Association for 5 years by the heirs of the late Wm. S. Rayner. It is known as the Rayner House and is used as a home for the nurses and office of the head-nurse.
Source: Charity Organization Society, Directory of the Charitable and Beneficent Organizations of Baltimore together with Legal Suggestions, Etc. Baltimore: : 37