James Smyth

Birth: 1773
Death: 1819
Occupation: doctor

Associated Counties

  • Baltimore City

Directories

Date Name Occupation Address City
1814-1815 James Smyth doctor 2 N. Frederick Street Baltimore City
1819 James Smyth doctor 2 N. Frederick Baltimore City
1810 James Smyth doctor 2 N Frederick Street Baltimore City
1817-1818 James Smyth doctor 2 N. Frederick Baltimore City

Additional Information

  • Dates: 1773-1819
    Notes: Born at Chestertown, Kent County, Md., 1773. Educated at London; pupil of the Hunters; leased the Maryland Hospital with Dr. Colin Mackenzie and continued in joint charge until his death; Attending Physician, Baltimore General Dispensary, 1805; with Colin Mackenzie, he reduced a dislocated humerous of nearly six month’s standing (Dorsey’s Surgery). Died at Baltimore, January 17, 1819.
    Source: Cordell, Eugene Fauntleroy, Medical Annals of Maryland 1799-1899 Baltimore: The Medical and Chirurgical Faculty for the State of Maryland: 575
  • Dates: 1800-1808
    Notes: Assessment Book 1800, p. 244; 1804-1808, p. 408
    Source:
  • Dates: 1804
    Notes: “Medical Society of Baltimore, President, Dr. Dunkel; Vice-President, Jno. Crawford; J.B. Davidge, Secretary; Drs. Smyth, Mackenzie (C.), Potter, Chatard (P.), Alexander, members.”
    Source: Quinan, John Russell, Medical Annals of Baltimore from 1608 to 1880, including Events, Men and Literature to which is added a Subject Index and Record of Public Services Baltimore: Press of Isaac Friedenwald: 24
  • Dates: 1805
    Notes: Drs. Smyth and Mackenzie reduce a dislocation of the shoulder of six month’s standing and Dr. James Cocke one of four month’s standing.
    Source: Cordell, Eugene Fauntleroy, Medical Annals of Maryland 1799-1899 Baltimore: The Medical and Chirurgical Faculty for the State of Maryland: 675
  • Dates: 1805, Jun.
    Notes: “Drs. Smyth and Mackenzie, of Baltimore Hospital, reduce a dislocation of shoulder of six month’s standing, and Dr. James Cocke, one of four months standing.”
    Source: Quinan, John Russell, Medical Annals of Baltimore from 1608 to 1880, including Events, Men and Literature to which is added a Subject Index and Record of Public Services Baltimore: Press of Isaac Friedenwald: 24
  • Dates: 1808, Jun. 24
    Notes: “City leases the Public Hospital (East Baltimore) to Dr. James Smyth and Colin Mackenzie for fifteen years and (Dec. 24) Legislature grants the lessees a lottery scheme of 40,000 to enlarge and improve the buildings of the hospital (Chapter 106).”
    Source: Quinan, John Russell, Medical Annals of Baltimore from 1608 to 1880, including Events, Men and Literature to which is added a Subject Index and Record of Public Services Baltimore: Press of Isaac Friedenwald: 25
  • Dates: 1808/06/24
    Notes: City leases Maryland Hospital for fifteen years to Drs. Smyth and Mackenzie (June 24.)
    Source: Cordell, Eugene Fauntleroy, Medical Annals of Maryland 1799-1899 Baltimore: The Medical and Chirurgical Faculty for the State of Maryland: 677
  • Dates: 1812
    Notes: Legislature granst $5000 annually for three years to Drs. Smyth and Mackenzie, for completion of Maryland Hospital. Board of Visitors report hospital in good order, central building nearly completed, and accommodations provided for 100 patients. Dr. William Gibson, Consulting Surgeon and Drs. George Brown, Miles Littlejohn, John Coulter, J.C. White, John Crawford, Solomon Birckhead, Pierre Chatard, John Cromwell and Ashton Alexander Consulting Physicians.
    Source: Cordell, Eugene Fauntleroy, Medical Annals of Maryland 1799-1899 Baltimore: The Medical and Chirurgical Faculty for the State of Maryland: 678
  • Dates: 1812, Jan. 4
    Notes: “Legislature orders payment of $5000 annually for three years, to Drs. Mackenzie and Smyth for completing the buildings of the Public Hospital, of which Dr. Wm. Gibson was consulting surgeon, and Drs. Brown (Geo.), Littlejohn, Coulter, White (J.C.), Crawford, Birckhead (Sol.), Chatard (P.), Cromwell, and Alexander were consulting physicians. The Hospital is in good order, its capacity is 100 patients, the centre building nearly done (Report of Board of Visitors).”
    Source: Quinan, John Russell, Medical Annals of Baltimore from 1608 to 1880, including Events, Men and Literature to which is added a Subject Index and Record of Public Services Baltimore: Press of Isaac Friedenwald: 26
  • Dates: 1814, Mar. 21
    Notes: “City extends lease of Drs. Smyth and Mackenzie for ten years more, provided they complete a centre building, a Lunatic Asylum, and the east wing of the Public Hospital within the time of their original lease.”
    Source: Quinan, John Russell, Medical Annals of Baltimore from 1608 to 1880, including Events, Men and Literature to which is added a Subject Index and Record of Public Services Baltimore: Press of Isaac Friedenwald: 27
  • Dates: 1814/03/21
    Notes: City extends lease of Drs. Smith and Mackenzie for ten years, on certain conditions (March 21); by loands from State and by lotteries they erect centre brick building, four stories, 64 x 56 feet, and two wings, three stories, 120 x 36 feet each; whole front, 300 feet.
    Source: Cordell, Eugene Fauntleroy, Medical Annals of Maryland 1799-1899 Baltimore: The Medical and Chirurgical Faculty for the State of Maryland: 680
  • Dates: 1816
    Notes: Dr. James Smyth furnishes City Hospital with wax anatomical models at a cost of $20,000. They were made by Chiappi and embraced a male and female figure, of life size, the parts and organs of which were separable, showing the internal organization, gravid uterus, etc. These models were destroyed in the burning of Peale’s Museum, where they had been deposited.
    Source: Cordell, Eugene Fauntleroy, Medical Annals of Maryland 1799-1899 Baltimore: The Medical and Chirurgical Faculty for the State of Maryland: 681
  • Dates: 1816
    Notes: “Dr. James Smyth through his liberality furnished the City Hospital with a cabinet of wax anatomical models at a cost of $20,000. These models, made by Dr. Chiappi, embraced a male and female gifure, life size, the parts of which were separable, showin the internal organization, the gravid uterus, & c. After the death of Drs. C. and John P. Mackenzie (to whom they were given by Dr. J. Smyth) they were deposited for exhibition and sale in Peale’s Museum and ultimately destroyed by the burning of the Museum (Dr. J.S. Mackenzie’s statement to the writer.)'”
    Source: Quinan, John Russell, Medical Annals of Baltimore from 1608 to 1880, including Events, Men and Literature to which is added a Subject Index and Record of Public Services Baltimore: Press of Isaac Friedenwald: 27
  • Dates: 1818
    Notes: “Clinical Lectures at Maryland Hospital by Dr. Nat. Potter, by permission of Drs. Smyth and Mackenzie.”
    Source: Quinan, John Russell, Medical Annals of Baltimore from 1608 to 1880, including Events, Men and Literature to which is added a Subject Index and Record of Public Services Baltimore: Press of Isaac Friedenwald: 28
  • Dates: 1818
    Notes: Clinical Lectures delivered at City Hospital by Prof. N. Potter, with permission of Drs. Smyth and Mackenzie.
    Source: Cordell, Eugene Fauntleroy, Medical Annals of Maryland 1799-1899 Baltimore: The Medical and Chirurgical Faculty for the State of Maryland: 683
  • Dates: 1819
    Notes: “Dr. James Smyth ob. aet. 46.”
    Source: Quinan, John Russell, Medical Annals of Baltimore from 1608 to 1880, including Events, Men and Literature to which is added a Subject Index and Record of Public Services Baltimore: Press of Isaac Friedenwald: 28
  • Dates: 1819
    Notes: Deaths: Drs. Henry Skinner, aet. 34; James Smyth, at Baltimore, January 17, aet. 45; J.T. Shaaff, at Georgetown, May 3, aet. 67; Elisha Harrison, at Washington, D.C., August 24, aet. 57; James Murray, at Annapolis, December 17, aet. 80; George Pitt Stevenson, at Baltimore, of yellow fever, aet. 50; John O’Connor, at Baltimore, of yellow fever; Clark, at Baltimore, of yellow fever.
    Source: Cordell, Eugene Fauntleroy, Medical Annals of Maryland 1799-1899 Baltimore: The Medical and Chirurgical Faculty for the State of Maryland: 685