Hospital for the Women of Maryland

Founded: Incorporated 1882
Location: McCulloh St. (1882-1884); Lafayette Ave. and John St. (1884-), Baltimore, MD

Images

Maryland Hospital for Women. Private collection.

Maryland Hospital for Women. Private collection.

The Hospital for the Women of Maryland

The Hospital for the Women of Maryland

Proposed New Building

Proposed New Building

D. Stuart Webb - interiors of the Hospital for the Women of Maryland - meeting room. Hughes Studio Photograph Collection, PP 30, Box 10, Folder 94. Maryland Historical Society

D. Stuart Webb – interiors of the Hospital for the Women of Maryland – meeting room. Hughes Studio Photograph Collection, PP 30, Box 10, Folder 94. Maryland Historical Society

D. Stuart Webb - interiors of the Hospital for the Women of Maryland - gift store. Hughes Studio Photograph Collection, PP 30, Box 10, Folder 94. Maryland Historical Society

D. Stuart Webb – interiors of the Hospital for the Women of Maryland – gift store. Hughes Studio Photograph Collection, PP 30, Box 10, Folder 94. Maryland Historical Society

D. Stuart Webb - interiors of the Hospital for the Women of Maryland - cafeteria. Hughes Studio Photograph Collection, PP 30, Box 10, Folder 94. Maryland Historical Society

D. Stuart Webb – interiors of the Hospital for the Women of Maryland – cafeteria. Hughes Studio Photograph Collection, PP 30, Box 10, Folder 94. Maryland Historical Society

D. Stuart Webb - interiors of the Hospital for the Women of Maryland - nursery. Hughes Studio Photograph Collection, PP 30, Box 10, Folder 94. Maryland Historical Society

D. Stuart Webb – interiors of the Hospital for the Women of Maryland – nursery. Hughes Studio Photograph Collection, PP 30, Box 10, Folder 94. Maryland Historical Society

D. Stuart Webb - interiors of the Hospital for the Women of Maryland - lab. Hughes Studio Photograph Collection, PP 30, Box 10, Folder 94. Maryland Historical Society

D. Stuart Webb – interiors of the Hospital for the Women of Maryland – lab. Hughes Studio Photograph Collection, PP 30, Box 10, Folder 94. Maryland Historical Society

D. Stuart Webb - interiors of the Hospital for the Women of Maryland - semi-private rooms. Hughes Studio Photograph Collection, PP 30, Box 10, Folder 94. Maryland Historical Society

D. Stuart Webb – interiors of the Hospital for the Women of Maryland – semi-private rooms. Hughes Studio Photograph Collection, PP 30, Box 10, Folder 94. Maryland Historical Society

D. Stuart Webb - interiors of the Hospital for the Women of Maryland - operating rooms. Hughes Studio Photograph Collection, PP 30, Box 10, Folder 94. Maryland Historical Society

D. Stuart Webb – interiors of the Hospital for the Women of Maryland – operating rooms. Hughes Studio Photograph Collection, PP 30, Box 10, Folder 94. Maryland Historical Society

Additional Information

  • Dates: 1894
    Notes: THE HOSPITAL FOR THE WOMEN OF MARYLAND, is situated on Lafayette avenue and John street, Baltimore, and was incorporated in 1882. It cost about $40,000. The purposes of the contributors to this institution was to provide suitable quarters for the treatment of diseases of the women of Maryland, where the best medical and surgical skill could be secured, and the facilities furnished to give the most effect to the work of the distinguished physicians who had tendered their services to the institution.Accommodations have been provided for about fifty patients. The larger portion of the institution is devoted to the treatment of those who are unable to pay for the medical attention, who are known as “free” patients. The hospital is open to all poor women of Maryland free of charge. Those coming from without the State are required to pay moderate rates for board, lodging and attendance. The revenues from these pay patients assist in defraying the expenses of the free ward. There have been treated in this institution since its organization, in 1882, about 12,000 women, many of them being visiting patients. And there have been living in the institution within that time 1,200; treated at the dispensary, 10,500; number of operations, 732.

    The institution is largely supported by private contributions from the citizens of the city of Baltimore, who are interested in the good work that is being so well performed by the distinguished surgeons and others who have it in charge. The surgical services rendered are gratuitous, to all patients who are unable to bear the expense of treatment. The total receipts for the past year were $10,220, of which amount the General Assembly of Maryland of 1892 appropriated the sum of $2,000 per annum.The necessity for an institution of this character is evidenced by the large number of patients who have been treated since its organization, and this is certainly one of the most worthy charities which the State has seen proper to assist.

    Source: Message of Frank Brown, Governor of Maryland, to the General Assembly at its Regular Session, January, 1894 Baltimore: Wm. J.C. Dullany Company: 91-92

  • Dates: 1901
    Notes: (1882) Lafayette Ave. and John St. Resident physician. Object.– The treatment of cases suffering with diseases peculiar to women (not a lying-in hospital). Not limited to Maryland. There are 23 free beds; 6 bedds in private rooms for which a moderate charge is made; and 16 rooms for private patients. Management. — By large number of women forming a board of managers. Supported by individual subscriptions and by a State appropriation of (1901) $4000.Established in house on McCulloh St.; present building erected 1884.

    Source: Charity Organization Society, Directory of the Charitable and Beneficent Organizations of Baltimore together with Legal Suggestions, Etc. Baltimore: : 50

  • Dates: 1920
    NotesAmounts appropriated for state-aided institutions, from the Maryland Manual, 1921-1922.

Bibliography

  • Chesney, Alan Mason, A survey of the Hospital for the Women of Maryland / by Alan M. Chesney and Barry Bowers. Baltimore: 1956.

 

Washington University Hospital

Location: Baltimore, MD

Additional Information

  • Dates: 1877
    Notes: The Bayview Hospital, at Baltimore, is a magnificent establishment, erected by the city. We have been unable to obtain any information in regard to this institution, the Washington University Hospital, or the Maryland Eye and Ear Institute of Baltimore.
    Source: Butler, Samuel, The Medical Register and Directory of the United States…. Philadelphia: Office of the Medical Examiner and Surgical Reporter: 315

 

Vaccine Institute

Founded: 1801
Closed:
1832
Location
: Baltimore, MD

Additional Information

  • Dates: 1801
    Notes: Dr. James Smith establishes a Vaccine Institute at his residence (March 25); this institution, one of the objects of which was to provide vaccine virus gratuitously to the poor, was maintained by Dr. Smith at his own expense until 1832. The services of this physician in promoting the introduction and spread of this great boon and in repeatedly arresting epidemics of smallpox, entitle him to the eternal gratitude of this community.
    Source: Cordell, Eugene Fauntleroy, Medical Annals of Maryland 1799-1899 Baltimore: The Medical and Chirurgical Faculty for the State of Maryland: 674
  • Dates: 1809
    Notes: Legislature grants lottery in aid of Dr. James Smith’s Vaccine Institute, but nothing ever realized from it.
    Source: Cordell, Eugene Fauntleroy, Medical Annals of Maryland 1799-1899 Baltimore: The Medical and Chirurgical Faculty for the State of Maryland: 677
  • Dates: 1810
    Notes: Vaccine Society in aid of Institute organized by Bishop Carroll, Rev. Dr. Bend, William Gwynn, Esq., Dr. James Smith and others.
    Source: Cordell, Eugene Fauntleroy, Medical Annals of Maryland 1799-1899 Baltimore: The Medical and Chirurgical Faculty for the State of Maryland: 677

 

Home of the Friendless

Founded: 1852 (Laws 1852, ch. 231). Opens Apr. 2, 1861
Location: Townsend Street and Druid Hill Avenue, Baltimore, MD

Images

Home of the Friendless. Message of Frank Brown, Governor of Maryland, to the General Assembly at its Regular Session, January, 1894 (Baltimore: Wm. J.C. Dullany Company, 1894). Maryland State Archives

Home of the Friendless. Message of Frank Brown, Governor of Maryland, to the General Assembly at its Regular Session, January, 1894 (Baltimore: Wm. J.C. Dullany Company, 1894). Maryland State Archives

Additional Information

  • Dates: 1854
    Notes: Home of Friendless holds its first Annual Meeting.
    Source: Quinan, John Russell, Medical Annals of Baltimore from 1608 to 1880, including Events, Men and Literature to which is added a Subject Index and Record of Public Services Baltimore: Press of Isaac Friedenwald: 40
  • Dates: 1859
    Notes: The object of this Association is to provide a “Home” for friendless or destitute girls, either orphans, half-orphans, or abandoned by their parents, where they may be received and provided for, until permanent homes in Christian families can be secured for them, by adoption or otherwise.
    See: Constitution and By-Laws of the Home for the Friendless….
  • Dates: 1859
    Notes: Friendless and destitute children, either orphans or uncared for by their parents, shall be received into the “Home,” for daily care and instruction, comfortably clothed and provided with dinner — children shall also be received as inmates of the “Home,” until permanent homes in Christian families can be secured for them by adoption or otherwise — as soon as admitted their cases shall be laid before the Board of Managers, who shall decided upon their retention or exclusion.
    See: Constitution and By-Laws of the Home for the Friendless….
  • Dates: 1859
    Notes: The children shall be instructed in the rudiments of an English education; they shall be taught needlework, general housework and cooking. At the age of sixteen, or after having served three years in the Institution, they shall be entitled to a certificate of character and acquirements.
    See: Constitution and By-Laws of the Home for the Friendless….
  • Dates: 1859
    Notes: Parents or guardians may place children in the institution, either to remain there until they are eighteen, or to be provided with a suitable and Christian home, at the discretion of the Mangers, who shall be responsible for their welfare and happiness until the age stated above. In either case, the parents or friends shall sign a written agreement, not to interfere with or trouble the Managers or the family with whom they may be placed, nor claim the child until she arrives at the age of eighteen. This rule shall not be departed from, except in cases of extreme destitution, when temporary relief may be afforded.
    See: Constitution and By-Laws of the Home for the Friendless….
  • Dates: 1859
    Notes: The Matron, being the head of the house, shall see that such children as are permanent inmates of the “Home,” be kept neat and tidy in their personal appearance, that they retire and rise, and have their meals at a specified hour, that they are industrious during working hours, and impress upon them the necessity of listening attentively to the tuition and advice that may be given to them. She shall also require from all the children unquestioning obedience, and see that the order and decorum of a well regulated Christian family be strictly observed.
    See: Constitution and By-Laws of the Home for the Friendless….
  • Dates: 1859
    Notes: A stated correspondence shall be held with all persons to whom the children may be given or apprenticed. The Managers of the Institution shall act as the guardians of such children as may be committed to their care, not only while under their direct supervision, but also in case of the death of foster parents, or the unfaithfulness of those who may have them in charge.
    See: Constitution and By-Laws of the Home for the Friendless…
  • Dates: 1861/04/02
    Notes: Home of Friendless opened Apr.2.
    Source: Quinan, John Russell, Medical Annals of Baltimore from 1608 to 1880, including Events, Men and Literature to which is added a Subject Index and Record of Public Services Baltimore: Press of Isaac Friedenwald: 42
  • Dates: 1872
    Notes: The Child’s Hospital, so long a hope deferred, has resulted in efficient organization; thus opening out another avenue of benevolence from the Institution. Like all similar enterprises it must be at first of slow growth; bit it has already received the blessing of suffering childhood, whose homes of poverty could not afford them sunshine or pure air, far less medical skill and nursing.
    See: Eighteenth Annual Report of the Home of the Friendless, 1872.
  • Dates: 1872
    Notes: We would here make our acknowledgments to uor able corps of consulting and attending physicians for their faithful and tender ministrations to the children of the Insitution and the Hospital. In a household of 140 children, of whome 85 are under 9 years of age, our bill of mortality is so light, as to give assurance — in addition to the faithfulness of our physicians and nurses — of an unseen ministry of Angels.
    See: Eighteenth Annual Report of the Home of the Friendless, 1872.
  • Dates: 1872
    Notes: The Hospital Wards are cheerful and well ventilated; comfortably furnished and provided with skillful nurses. Children between the ages of two and twelve years are received and nursed free of charge, or at such rates as may agree with the circumstances of their guardians.
    See: Eighteenth Annual Report of the Home of the Friendless, 1872.
  • Dates: 1894
    Notes: THE HOME OF THE FRIENDLESS, is situated at the corner of Lafayette and Druid Hill avenues, Baltimore. It is a large brick building, which was erected at a cost of $62,000. It was organized in 1854.The chief aim of the founders of this institution was to respond to a need for providing a home for the friendless and homeless children, orphans, and half-orphans, or the offspring of vagrants. It has been managed since its organization by a board of ladies, who, by close attention and efficient management, have made the institution one of the most prominent charitable institutions in the State. From its opening to the present time there have been received 5,000 children, and homes have been secured for nearly one thousand of this number. The institution has a capacity of about 200 inmates. The present number of beneficiaries is 165. A kindergarten and other educational facilities are successfully conducted. The home knows no demonimational creed, being non-sectarian. Its principal source of revenue is derived from private contributions. For many years the State has appropriated different sums towards it maintenance, and the General Assembly of 1892 contributed the sum of $3,000 per annum.

    Source: Message of Frank Brown, Governor of Maryland, to the General Assembly at its Regular Session, January, 1894 Baltimore: Wm. J.C. Dullany Company: 72

 

U. S. Marine Hospital

Founded: Founded 1799.
Location: Remington Ave. and 31st St. (1887), Baltimore, MD

Images

Marine Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland. Private collection.

Marine Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland. Private collection.

U.S. Marine Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland. Personnel- Hospital Staff. Images from the History of Medicine Collection, Order No. A010393. National Library of Medicine, History of Medicine Division

U.S. Marine Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland. Personnel- Hospital Staff. Images from the History of Medicine Collection, Order No. A010393. National Library of Medicine, History of Medicine Division

U.S. Marine Hospital, General View. Images from the History of Medicine Collection, Order No. A010389. National Library of Medicine, History of Medicine Division

U.S. Marine Hospital, General View. Images from the History of Medicine Collection, Order No. A010389. National Library of Medicine, History of Medicine Division

U.S. Marine Hospital, General View. Images from the History of Medicine Collection, Order No. A010391. National Library of Medicine, History of Medicine Division

U.S. Marine Hospital, General View. Images from the History of Medicine Collection, Order No. A010391. National Library of Medicine, History of Medicine Division

U.S. Marine Hospital, Entrance to Building. Images from the History of Medicine Collection, Order No. A010390. National Library of Medicine, History of Medicine Division

U.S. Marine Hospital, Entrance to Building. Images from the History of Medicine Collection, Order No. A010390. National Library of Medicine, History of Medicine Division

U.S. Marine Hospital, Architect's Drawing. Images from the History of Medicine Collection, Order No. A026883. National Library of Medicine, History of Medicine Division

U.S. Marine Hospital, Architect’s Drawing. Images from the History of Medicine Collection, Order No. A026883. National Library of Medicine, History of Medicine Division

U.S. Marine Hospital, Personnel: Hospital Staff. Images from the History of Medicine Collection, Order No. A010392. National Library of Medicine, History of Medicine Division

U.S. Marine Hospital, Personnel: Hospital Staff. Images from the History of Medicine Collection, Order No. A010392. National Library of Medicine, History of Medicine Division

U.S. Marine Hospital, Personnel: Nurses. Images from the History of Medicine Collection, Order No. A010394. National Library of Medicine, History of Medicine Division

U.S. Marine Hospital, Personnel: Nurses. Images from the History of Medicine Collection, Order No. A010394. National Library of Medicine, History of Medicine Division

  • See: Marine Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland. Private collection.
  • See: [Two nurses on the steps to the U.S. Marine Hospital in Baltimore]. Images from the History of Medicine Collection, Order No. A018394. National Library of Medicine, History of Medicine Division

Additional Information

  • Dates: 1901
    Notes: (1799) A bureau of the Treasury Department. Hospital on Remington Ave. Object.–To care for ill American sailors. Only those who have served as sailors on an American registered vessel for at least 60 days prior to application are strictly eligible, but any bona fide sailor taken sick or injured in the line of duty will receive attention. Admission.–Apply at surgeon’s office, Custom House, Saturdays, 9 a.m. to 12 m., other week days 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.; C&P telephone, St. Paul 1457; in emergency cases at other times, apply to Hospital. Ambulance in attendance. Supported by the Government.
    Source: Charity Organization Society, Directory of the Charitable and Beneficent Organizations of Baltimore together with Legal Suggestions, Etc. Baltimore: : 42
  • Dates: 1901
    Notes: The following hospitals have ambulances for the conveyance of sick persons to the hospital named in the title:The City Hospital, Calvert and Saratoga Sts.
    Johns Hopkins Hospital, Broadway and McElderry St.
    The Maryland General Hospital, Linden Ave. and Madison St.
    The Maryland University Hospital, Greene and Lombard Sts.
    St. Joseph’s Hospital, Caroline and Hoffman Sts.
    The Health Department, City Hall Annex, has a ambulance to convey cases of contagious disease to the Quarantine Hospital.
    The Supervisors of City Charities have contracted with the following hospitals for the conveyance of city patients: Maryland General, Maryland University, City Hospital, St. Joseph’s, and Homeopathic.
    United States Marine Hospital Service has an ambulance which conveys sick sailors to the hospital.Source: Charity Organization Society, Directory of the Charitable and Beneficent Organizations of Baltimore together with Legal Suggestions, Etc. Baltimore: : 46
  • Dates: 1901
    Notes: UNITED STATES MARINE HOSPITAL, Remington Ave. C&P telephone, Madison 268. The Maryland Hospital of United States Marine Hospital Service. Object.– For sick or injured sailors of American registered vessels, who have served for at least 60 days prior to application. Admission. — Apply at surgeon’s office, at Custom House, Saturdays, 9 a.m. to 1 m., other week days, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.; in emergency cases, at other times, apply to Hospital Ambulance in attendance.A bureau of the Treasury Department, organized in 1799 to encourage shipment of American sailors, supported by the government. In Baltimore had wards in St. Joseph’s Hospital until the new special hospital was opened.
    Source: Charity Organization Society, Directory of the Charitable and Beneficent Organizations of Baltimore together with Legal Suggestions, Etc. Baltimore: : 49

 

Union Protestant Infirmary

Founded: 1854
Location
: 1514 Division Street, Baltimore, MD

Images

Union Protestant Infirmary. Private collection.

Union Protestant Infirmary. Private collection.

Additional Information